Thursday 4 September 2014

Ekaterina Makarova In Her First Semifinals At The US Open

Ekaterina Makarova
Ekaterina Makarova, into her first Grand Slam semifinal at the US Open, loves playing on the game's big stages -- off the court, it's a little different.
"You know, it's tough to say something about yourself," said the 26-year-old Russian upon being asked to produce some instant self-analysis for the benefit of new fans.
"I think I'm trying to stay in the shade a little bit, to be in my world.
"I'm not using social networks that much. Yeah, I can say that I'm maybe closed a little bit.
"But I'm really enjoying to play on the big stage, the big courts with all this crowd. I'm feeling differently than in other places."
It's true Makarova won't be a household name to casual fans.
She's won two WTA titles and a Fed Cup crown with Russia, and has a Grand Slam women's doubles title and mixed doubles title on her resume.
She also has the odd distinction of being the only player who has never held the world number one ranking who has beaten both Serena and Venus Williams -- and both of those wins came at Grand Slams.
Makarova grabbed her second career title at Pattaya City this year --four years after a victory on grass at Eastbourne. She's climbed to a career-high 18th in the world, reaching semifinals at Washington and Montreal and perhaps more importantly the quarterfinals at Wimbledon.
That was her fourth career quarter-final at a major, and while she once again came away empty handed Makarova said she had gained confidence that buoyed her on Wednesday.
"Because I played quarters in Wimbledon and I really believed that at US Open I can do my best result," she said. "I felt that I'm ready. I'm feeling good in my game, mentally and I believe in myself.
"Before maybe I didn't believe that much that I can came through," she said. "Today definitely was a different feeling, and I really believed to myself that I'm ready to go forward and to be in the semis."
By SuperSports

No comments:

Post a Comment