Tuesday 14 October 2014

I Was Never Trusted-Keshi

Keshi
Super Eagles coach, Stephen Keshi has sensationally told supersport.com that he has never enjoyed the support of Nigerians from the first day he took the reins of the national team in 2011.
Keshi said “only a handful of Nigerians” did not question his professional competence after he was appointed head coach and that the team’s 2013 Africa Cup of Nations (Afcon) success in South Africa came to many as a shock.
“If I am to be honest, most Nigerians never believed in me or this team from day one. It was only a handful of them (Nigerians) that believed.
“When we won the Nations Cup, they celebrated but they never really believed we could do it,” an angry Keshi said.
Nigeria’s hopes of qualifying for the 2015 Afcon in Morocco hangs by a thread after the Super Eagles picked up a solitary point from a possible nine.
The underwhelming results has put Keshi’s position in jeopardy but the “Big Boss’ says he’s not worried about losing his job.
“Yes, I am aware a lot of Nigerians are calling for my head. The truth is, they can’t really call for my head because they did not give me my head.
“God gave me my head so they can only call for my job.
“I always give my best as coach of this team and I will not stop doing that just because some people are criticizing me.
“It’s a pity that when the team does not perform well, the fans say it’s the fault of the coach.
“However, when the team performs well, they will say it’s the players who did all the work.
“It’s a very unfortunate thing but I will continue to give my best and God willing, we will beat Sudan on Wednesday,” he said.
A loss for Nigeria on Wednesday will virtually rule the African champions out of the race to qualify for the 2015 Afcon in Morocco.
By SuperSports

No comments:

Post a Comment