Tuesday 28 November 2017

I never turned down Everton - David Unsworth

David Unsworth says he would never have turned down the opportunity to take the Everton job on a temporary basis, despite the club's concerning slump towards the relegation spots.
The caretaker manager has overseen just one win from his seven games at the helm since he was appointed to replace Ronald Koeman, who was sacked on October 23 after an equally poor start to the campaign.
The Toffees are now just two points clear of the bottom three after they were beaten 4-1 at Southampton on Sunday. Everton now face two games in front of their own fans at Goodison Park, with fellow strugglers West Ham the opponents on Wednesday before Premier League new-boys Huddersfield visit at the weekend. However, after admitting to the fans he was really "hurting", Unsworth revealed he felt compelled to answer the club's SOS call after the Dutchman's departure.
"I think you never turn down the opportunity to be Everton manager," he said. "I think it's very important you help the club out in a difficult time.
"Five weeks ago I was asked to do a job to come in to lead the team. I did that. I've been doing that.
"I wouldn't have turned it down five weeks ago, five days ago, five minutes ago. I would still do exactly the same.
"I'm a proud man and this is my club, and I love this football club, but at the moment we're in a difficult time, difficult moment and it's been tough. But it's time for people to stand up now and I'll stand up there as long as I have to, as long as I need to, for my football club." Negotiations were continuing Tuesday morning between Everton and Sam Allardyce's representatives.
Allardyce, the 63-year old former England, Bolton, Blackburn, Newcastle, Sunderland and Crystal Palace manager remained in Dubai on a family holiday.
The Merseysiders ended their efforts to lure Marco Silva from Watford last week.
From SkySport 

No comments:

Post a Comment