Monday 18 December 2017

Am unsure whether Virgil van Dijk will stay at the club - Mauricio Pellegrino

SOUTHAMPTON boss Mauricio Pellegrino has admitted he is unsure whether Virgil van Dijk will stay at the club beyond January.
The 26-year-old was unsuccessful in securing a move away from St Mary's in the summer, and was an unused substitute during the 1-0 loss against Chelsea on Saturday.
 Southampton star Virgil van Dijk has made no secret of his desire to leave the club
This had led speculation that the Dutch centre-back could be leaving in the winter transfer window, with Pellegrino failing to rule out a move away.
Speaking after the Blues defeat, he said: "Virgil is an important player. "I can't control the market. I'm not the owner of the player.
"II can have my opinion and this I have give to the technical director, to the chairman, my opinion.
"After the board can decide altogether which is the best for the team.'' LiverpoolManchester City and Chelsea were all keen on securing his services before the window closed, but were all put off by the £70million asking price.
And Antonio Conte fuelled rumours that he could launch a bid for the ex-Celtic star next month, after he expressed his admiration for the defender. The Italian said: "He's a really good player. He had a bad [knee] injury, but I think he recovered very well. I wish him the best."
And when Pellegrino was asked whether they could yet again keep hold of their prized asset, he admitted it is not up to him. He added: "I can't control this. I will recommend to try to keep our best player here in the club.
"The club was clear in the beginning and I have the same opinion.''
Southampton have struggled in recent weeks - their loss against Chelsea was the fifth game in a row they have failed to win in the Premier League.
The Saints sit 12th in the table, and face Huddersfield, Tottenham and Manchester United in their next three games.

No comments:

Post a Comment