Sunday 24 August 2014

Irvine Thrilled With His Super Eagles

Alan Irvine
The West Bromwich Albion manager, Alan Irvine has spoken about his delight following Saturday’s Premier League draw at Southampton.
The Baggies were held to a 0-0 draw by the Saints at the St. Mary’s stadium on Saturday and Irvine explained afterwards that his charges put in a “really solid display”.
““I’m very, very pleased with that display. I thought we were really solid,” Irvine told the club’s official website, wba.co.uk.
West Brom are still undefeated after their first two games and Irvine insists he took the time study Southampton before both sides went toe to toe on Saturday.
The Saints were impressive despite a 1-2 loss to Liverpool on match day one, a game where Irvine drew important lessons.
“I saw Southampton play at Anfield last week and they looked a real threat going forward.
“But we were able to make sure they weren’t able to cut us open today.
“I was pleased about that and pleased with how we passed the ball at times. “At other times I was a bit disappointed because we gave it away too cheaply.
“When we passed the ball well, as I said to the boys afterwards, we we were able to move up the pitch really well and got into some really good positons.
“Overall I was happy with the performance - it is a difficult place to come.
“I’m not unhappy with a point – that’s for sure,” he said.
The St Mary’s encounter pitted two sides in transition against each other after a summer of big changes at both clubs.
Irvine even had to hand earlier-than-expected debuts to substitutes Brown Ideye and Jason Davidson due to second-half injuries to Victor Anichebe and Sebastien Pocognoli.
And he was satisfied with the organisation his men showed to clinch a deserved draw.
“I’m very, very pleased with that display. I thought we were really solid.
“I saw Southampton play at Anfield last week and they looked a real threat going forward.
“But we were able to make sure they weren’t able to cut us open (on Saturday).
“I was pleased about that and pleased with how we passed the ball at times,” he said.
By SuperSports

No comments:

Post a Comment