Monday 30 October 2017

Jose Mourinho says Romelu Lukaku is ‘untouchable’

JOSE MOURINHO has once again sprung to the defence of "untouchable" top scorer Romelu Lukaku.
This time he's asked the Old Trafford faithful not to boo him.
 Romelu Lukaku limbers up for Benfica with Jesse Lingard at the United training session
Lukaku has not scored in five games and on Saturday there were groans directed at his work-rate in the win against Tottenham. The Old Trafford boss fumed: “I would like supporters to explain to me why they don’t support Lukaku so much because he gives everything.
"It is not fair when scoring or not scoring makes all the difference.” Now, in the build-up to Tuesday's Champions League home clash with Benfica, Mourinho has labelled the Belgian "untouchable". Having netted 16 goals in his first 13 appearances of the season for club and country, Lukaku has gone off the boil. But Mourinho said: "The fans pay for their tickets and are free to express themselves the way they want. "But my job is when I feel they deserve is to protect my players.
"I think Romelu is one of the players that should be untouchable in terms of the respect of everyone. "It's not one goal or the ball goes against the post or a save by the opposition keeper that can make Romelu's contribution below the top level.
"He is playing extremely well for us, and yes I have to protect my players when I feel they deserve it. "And Romelu always deserves it because what he does for the team is fantastic. Playing football for a striker isn't just about scoring goals.
"So, for me, untouchable in my team and I think he should be untouchable in the support from the fans." Mourinho could take Lukaku out of the firing line and rest him for the Premier Leagueclash with Chelsea. That would mean pairing Marcus Rashford and Anthony Martial up front against Benfica.
"We played Marcus and Anthony together at Swansea (in the Carabao Cup) one week ago so, yes, they can play together,' he added. "That's no problem. "What you cannot do it play with 12. We cannot play with everybody at the same time.
"We did it so we can repeat that against Benfica, or we can repeat it in any other match."
From The Sun

No comments:

Post a Comment