Wednesday 20 December 2017

Antonio Conte praises Andreas Christensen and tells him to be ‘the next John Terry’

ANTONIO CONTE has been ‘amazed’ by the displays of Andreas Christensen this season.
And Chelsea’s boss called on the Danish centre-half to follow in the footsteps of club legend John Terry as a lion-hearted leader.
 Andreas Christensen has kept the likes of Gary Cahill and David Luiz out of the Chelsea first team this season
Christensen, 21, was recalled from loan at the start of this season and is now established at the heart of the defence.
He will feature again tonight again despite a raft of changes for the Carabao Cup quarter-final with Bournemouth.
Conte said: “Christensen, despite his young age, is maybe the best surprise from the start of this season.
“I think that, for us, he’s been the best surprise — for me, the club, his team-mates, the fans. “His performances have been amazing and convinced me he has to play with regularity.
“It’s not often you see this composure and calmness in a young player. “He has played some big games with great calm and great focus and concentration.
“We must be happy because, I think, Chelsea have found a player who can have the same career as some of the best defenders here. “I hope he helps me to make sure that happens.
“He’s a serious person, always committed in training sessions. He doesn’t speak a lot and prefers facts to words and I predict a fantastic career for him.
“I wish Christensen has the same career as John Terry.
“This is a big comparison. John Terry wrote the history of this club and won a lot. I think Andreas has the right characteristics to play for this club for years and become an important player.”
Christensen spent two years on loan at German club Borussia Monchengladbach and was voted their Player of the Year in 2016. The 6ft 2in Dane believes living abroad has helped him grow up quickly and it is paying dividends.
He has kept experienced Brazilian David Luiz out of the team this season to underline his rapid rise which is set to be rewarded with a new contract early next year.
Conte added: “He is very happy to stay with us and play regularly.
“Maybe, he did not expect to arrive at a great team like Chelsea and play every game.
“But he did. If you deserve to play, I don't care if you are 21 or only 17 years old. “My first game was when I was 16 years old in Serie A with Lecce.
“I’m the first person to be open to give these opportunities if, I repeat, you deserve it.
“You must deserve to play by having the right commitment and attitude in training. He could be a future captain. When you play for a great club like Chelsea, the future is yours.”
Conte will tonight stick with a mixed side of reserves and kids which has got them to the last eight.
He said: “It’s right to continue to back players who have shown me they deserve this opportunity.”
From The Sun

No comments:

Post a Comment