Saturday 7 October 2017

Andres Iniesta urges Barcelona to tie down Lionel Messi

ANDRES INIESTA insists Lionel Messi wants to join him by committing his future to Barcelona.
Midfield maestro Iniesta, 33, signed Barca's first 'lifetime contract' on Friday to end speculation that this was his final season at the Nou Camp. Messi and Barca have shelved contract talks until after the international break, with Argentina's World Cup qualification hopes in doubt.
But Iniesta says Messi is primed to sign and give the Catalan giants a major boost after the loss of Neymar to Paris Saint-Germain.
Iniesta said: "In Leo's situation I think that dialogue is something that is not lacking.
"The club wants Leo to be here, he wants to be here. I hope that his story (at Barca) never ends.
"He is unique, we can't live without him and I think the club thinks the same way.
"It's just a question of time, but I hope he renews as soon as possible." Earlier in the season Iniesta admitted that he was having to think about life away from the Blaugrana for the first time.
But that point appears to be some way off after penning a new deal - although Barca did not say what Iniesta's role will be after he stops playing.
Inesta added: "I'll be here while my body and my mind can keep performing. "And I hope that it will be for a long time. At the end of the season we will evaluate everything together and see what is best for everyone.
"I'll be the first to say something if I feel that I don't have the same strength and the same importance as I had before.
"Then we can change things, and it will be fine." Iniesta signed the new contract at the team's Camp Nou Stadium and was given a team shirt with the words "Iniesta forever."
He has only ever played for Barca - winning eight La Liga titles and the Champions League four times.
He has also won the Euros twice and the World Cup with Spain. The Barcelona captain is currently second on the all-time appearance list for the club with 639, trailing only former midfield partner Xavi by 128 outings.
He is still a member of the Spanish national side, with 13 goals in 121 matches, and scored the winning goal in the 1-0 win over Netherlands in the 2010 World Cup final
Iniesta joined the club at just 12, coming through their La Masia academy.
From The Sun

No comments:

Post a Comment