Tuesday 24 October 2017

Fifa Awards: Cristiano Ronaldo, Olivier Giroud… and Celtic the big winners

CRISTIANO RONALDO was named Men's Player of the Year at Fifa's The Best awards - while Olivier Giroud walked home with the Puskas award.
Ronaldo made history with club Real Madrid when they last season became the first side ever to successfully defend the Champions League. And it turned into a double celebration for the boys from Madrid as Zinedine Zidane scooped the men's coach gong.
Superstar Ronaldo, who also led Portugal to victory at Euro 2016 and won last season's La Liga on top of seeing off Barcelona's Lionel Messi and Paris Saint-Germain's Neymar to the trophy, said: "Thank you, the guys who voted on me. And a mention to Lionel [Messi] and Neymar.
"My team-mates, my coach, my president, they support all the year so I say thank you to them.
"We are in England for the first time and I win consecutive efforts so it is a great moment for me. "I appreciate the support, thank you very much.
"It's great to be here around these amazing players. I'm so happy, guys. Thank you very much." Ronaldo, who won the same award last year and becomes a five-time winner of Fifa's best player award, played a typically integral part in Real Madrid claiming Europe's top trophy for a second successive time.
The winger scored 12 goals in the process and continues, even at the age of 32, to be the spine of the Madrid side. Messi had to settle for second best at the glitzy bash at the London Palladium while Neymar finished third in the voting.
Gunners forward Giroud was honoured with the Best Goal gong after his incredible effort against Crystal Palace.
He said: "Thank you very much. It’s an honour for me. I’m delighted to receive this trophy in front of legends of football.
"I’d like to thank the people who voted for me. I’d like to thank the other nominees who scored amazing goals too.

From The Sun

No comments:

Post a Comment